The park lies 10 kilometres outside the Nairobi city and borders the traditional South Kapiti Plains and Kitengela Migration Corridor and attracts a range of exciting game. It is a seasonal park but most of the game, like Kenya’s indigenous Black Rhino, lives in the protection of the park all year round. It was originally part of the Great Southern Game Reserve created in 1900 but became a training ground for the King's African Rifles during WW1. Unfortunately this resulted in serious destruction of both habitat and wildlife and it was until 1946 that the area was declared a National Park – the first in East Africa.
Today over 100 species of mammals and 400 species of bird have been recorded in the park. It is a source of amazement that such a variety of wildlife can be viewed within sight of the skyscrapers and international airport of Nairobi and four of the Big Five can be seen here – leopard, lion, buffalo and rhino, but no elephant.